Scentsy is one of the biggest work at home gigs on any military base these days. While Avon isn’t as popular as it once was it is still one of the go to direct selling gigs many moms and wives turn to when they are in need of some cash. As of lately the most popular work from home gig is those who are trying to get military spouses to enroll in “Meditech” programs by promoting the use of MYCAA and who (from what I have been told) get paid based on if they sign up an enrollee. I know various military spouses who sell for these companies and who do pretty well but for the majority the luck is not so good.
The reasons are really simple.
1. To many people are hawking the same products at the same time. Think about the number of Scentsy invites you get on your facebook page. Think about how many events you have went to on post and there were several Scentsy or Avon reps there. Think about how in the last week just on the Army Wife 101 FB fan page alone, there were endless postings to enroll or become a college rep for Meditech. Everyone is doing the same thing and creating a saturated market super fast for what are actually good products.
2. Frequent over marketing of products causes it to be looked over. I mean how many cake bakers or candle reps do you really need in a few square miles? I never knock anyone’s hustle but what’s the point of investing your time and money if you’re not going to market right . While I am no expert I consider myself to be *ahem* a “milspouse social media guru” of sorts and think I have a few ideas that can help you take your business to the next level.
Solutions and Ideas:
1. Be Creative- When you are running a business and want to see growth or profit you have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone a bit. Think about the time I received that email two hours before I was scheduled to be on “MSNBC”, do you really think I was totally prepared? No! Had I ever been on a national tv network before? Hell NO! Yet I knew that by doing this not only would I be a voice for military wives all over but I knew that doors and more opportunities would come open for me. In your case if your selling Scentsy why not make some videos showcasing how you use Scentsy in your home. Showcase how you matched the decor with your home furnishings. Break out the digital cam and record a Scentsy party you had. You may be shy and you might not want to go on video but being a great business owner sometimes means stepping out of your comfort zone.
Another example is folks who sell makeup such as Avon or Mary Kay. How can you sell these products if you yourself don’t look the part. Avon is beyond saturated and with the invention of the Internet and online shopping, people aren’t so quick these days to hand over cash for products they can easily order online. It is because of this that you need to give potential customers a reason to want to buy from you. Look the part or pick an item that you really like and wear it. Many spouses will say “well I am not the dress up or makeup type”…well then what are you doing selling beauty products? Beauty sells and people are more apt to buy from you if you look like you are truly into the product and know what a majority of the products do.
Consider blogging about your experience selling the product. Share photos of items that you really love and showcase you and your family using them. If the company has products that cater to moms on the go show how you yourself use these products and how they fit within your lifestyle.
Many folks are visual and get bored really fast with the corny sales pitches. Standing out from the crowd is essential.
Market Properly Online- The internet is your best friend when it comes to running a business. Facebook for example is easy instant access to thousands of people for FREE! That being said how you market your business makes all the difference in the world as to what kind of results you will see.
1. Stop posting random sales pitch on random facebook pages. The truth is no one will most likely see those posts because FB now hides post off of fan page walls that appear to be spammy. Consider asking a Facebook page admin if they will post a specific special your business maybe having. In addition to this when you are creating a Facebook page make sure it is a “LIKE” page so that folks don’t have to go to the hoopla of requesting to join a group. That is a definite deal breaker and can and will deter people from joining your page.
2. Many people shy away from Twitter thinking it’s just some stupid site where all you do is type statuses when in actuality it is a way for you to reach thousands of people and create relationships. Also, because so many everyday folks shy away from it , it’s not flooded with everyone selling the same product.
3. Lastly Remember this is a business and sometimes you have to invest to see a profit. This may mean holding a giveaway, giving away samples and advertising on blogs or websites that cater to the people you are trying to reach.
These are just a few ideas that if implemented properly can really work in your favor of making you stand out from the rest.
What are some creative ways you have marketed your work from home business? Share your ideas in the comments section below.
Powered by Facebook Comments