I know that we have many spouses who are really good at baking. I also know many of you love to send some sweet treats to your husband when he is deployed. Deployments suck but the fun part is preparing care packages for them.
Recently Nielsen-Massey Vanillas sent me some of their products to try and wanted me to share their recipes for their crackly chewy brownies which they guarantee if you make will be fresh when they arrive to your soldier.
First they recommend some of the following tips when shipping the brownies.
- Let cookies cool completely and cool in plastic wrap.
- Layer your metal cookie tin with wax paper
- Layer brownies neatly in tin and then fill remaining empty spaces with air popped popcorn. The popcorn will absorb excess moisture.
- Cover top of brownies with piece of wax paper and place lid on.
- Wrap entire container in plastic wrap to secure everything.
This recipe (below), developed by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, is designed to survive long travel times and still taste incredible, thanks to the strong, rich flavor of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Pure Chocolate Flavor.
Not So Blonde Brownies
1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
2 tablespoons Kahlúa
1 cup coarsely shopped white chocolate
¾ cup coarsely chopped nuts of choice (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the chocolate extract and Kahlúa. Add the sifted dry ingredients in two additions, beating well after each addition. Fold in the white chocolate chunks and nuts.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter over the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
For fun Massey Vanillas is letting a reader win (1) product of choice from their line.
Simply leave a comment below with your favorite baked item to send your soldier overseas.
Be sure to leave your email so that I may contact you if you are the winner.
Winner will be chosen via random.org on May 28, 2013.
Best of Luck!
Powered by Facebook Comments