This post is sponsored by IHG Hotels, all thoughts and opinions are our own.
Military Spouse Appreciation Day is May 7th, and you could use a little getaway, an escape, and some pampering, right? The military lifestyle is never a walk in the park, but when you add in the insanity of the pandemic, things grew even more difficult. Nevermind that being a milspouse already meant packing up and moving every few years, having to start from scratch, making new friends and missing old ones, and holding down the homefront during a training exercise or a deployment. In the last year, many milspouses faced the standard challenges, but also dealt with virtual schooling, job loss, or delays in plans because of Covid. Many families were together all the time. All the time!
I don’t know about you, but I’m tired. Wouldn’t a getaway to a nearby hotel be divine? Go with me on this — we don’t mean a getaway with your spouse, or with your kids, if you’re a parent. We mean a hotel stay with your best friend(s), or even — gasp — alone! It could be one night, or even two, but can you just imagine how restorative a hotel staycation would be?
When I think back to the times I was in a hotel alone, it was for work. Although I appreciated stretching out in the bed, I still had responsibilities. I was often on my laptop, reading an agenda, preparing a speech, or interacting with colleagues. Even though it was novel to sleep somewhere other than my own bed, it was still for work.
What I’m proposing is something different — this is just for you. Here are some tips and supplies you may want to bring to make this a quick, rejuvenating getaway.
- Devices and chargers – Whether you plan to text or video chat with friends, or binge watch your favorite shows, make sure you have your phone, tablet/laptop, and chargers. I love packing an HD cord to stream my favorite shows directly from my device to the TV and watch from bed.
- Favorite book – Have you been meaning to finally read that book that’s been collecting dust? Now’s your chance! It’s so quiet!
- Beauty treatments – Pack things like exfoliants, lotions, nail polish, or a face mask to pamper yourself in ways you don’t always have time to.
- Swimsuit – If your hotel has a pool, treat yourself to a dip! It can be very relaxing and refreshing, while providing some exercise and stress relief.
- Workout clothes – Are you a fitness buff? Check out your hotel’s gym and get in a workout to help alleviate tension caused by the past year.
- Order delivery – Use your favorite food delivery app on your phone to order cuisine that you don’t have to cook! This is especially fun if it’s something that you love but your family wouldn’t normally enjoy. Treat yourself!
- Favorite beverages/snacks – If you have the late-night munchies or want to unwind and snack during your movie or TV marathon, bring some of your favorites in advance. If you forget, your hotel has your back with a 24-hour pantry.
- Hot coffee and breakfast is waiting for you – How nice to enjoy a breakfast bar in the morning, especially if you don’t have to cook or do the dishes! Now this is living!
- Other activities of honorable mention – Having the AC on at the exact temperature you want, sprawling out in soft sheets, sleeping in with blackout curtains, or simply staring at the wall in silence.
Now THIS is something I’ve done a handful of times and it’s always been amazing. Even years later, we reflect on our fun overnights in hotels, and I highly recommend this option. In addition to the above ideas, here are some bonuses you may consider bringing as well:
- Bluetooth speaker – My friends and I enjoyed making playlists in advance or streaming music from our phones to create a party atmosphere.
- Hair hot tools and makeup – My friends and I enjoyed straightening or curling each other’s hair, and even doing each other’s makeup. It was fun to feel pampered in this way and also share tips and tricks that work for us.
- Cute outfits – Even if you don’t plan to go anywhere, you can get dressed up and take some great photos of each other. Your hotel may even offer a complimentary social, and you’ll be ready to go!
- Pajamas, slippers, robes, sweats, etc. – Get cozy! If you plan on staying in and being low-key, this is a great option as well. It’s a comfortable, no-judgement zone!
- Important stories, secrets, connection points – We’re not saying that you have to spill all or tell your deepest, darkest secrets, but get ready to share and listen and get to know each other better. After all, what would a sleepover be without a secret or two?
IHG Army Hotels and Milspouses
IHG Army Hotels have properties all across the globe, with several hotels located on military bases. They proudly welcome active duty service members and their families.
When it comes to staycations, you should know that their properties feature:
- Fitness centers
- 24-hour pantries
- Fully equipped kitchens
- Working and living spaces
- Express Start hot breakfasts
- Courtesy shuttles
- Complimentary socials
Be sure to check with the post to make sure that the features are available. Many amenities have been restricted due to COVID-19 but all are expected to reopen soon.
Even better? Guests can join their loyalty program, the IHG Rewards, to earn points with each stay! Members enjoy special benefits at hotels all around the world. Perks include free high-speed internet, extensive reward choices, and FREE reward nights at thousands of destinations. Best of all, there’s no cost to join, so why not start accruing during your staycation for your next actual vacation?
Milspouse, we know you’re amazing. We know that this past year has added unthinkable challenges to an already wild lifestyle. Consider treating yourself and perhaps some friends to an IHG Army Hotels staycation — you deserve it. For more, please visit: http://www.ihg.com/ArmyHotels.
Powered by Facebook Comments