It was a typical day at the Commissary – you had your list, your coupons, and happily hummed along as you pushed your cart up and down the aisles. (Or maybe you were trying to wrangle your kids in the cart and keep little hands from grabbing, but I digress.)
All was well until you tried to pick up some fresh sushi you’d been craving. What on earth happened to the sushi bar? Perhaps you tried to treat yourself to something special from the bakery. But wait, why were the offerings suddenly so minimal?
If this sounds familiar, you are not alone, but read on for good news!
Meet Military Deli & Bakery Services, Inc. (MDBS)
Next month, 44 U.S. Commissaries will benefit from the return of full-service deli-bakery operations and restored sushi bars thanks to a new contractor taking the helm, Military Deli and Bakery Services, Inc.
MDBS is the largest operator of Deli and Bakery departments in military commissaries and are experts in the knowledge required to operate these specialty departments.
The previous contract ceased in February due to former contractor performance issues. Since then, the commissary agency has provided limited deli-bakery services at all the commissaries except Fort Sill, Oklahoma. This was done primarily by hiring many of the former contractor’s employees on temporary appointments as government employees to provide the services.
What’s the Timeline?
Starting June 1, MDBS will begin taking over the deli-bakery operations in a phased roll out. The deli-bakeries should be fully operational by the end of June, while the sushi bar roll out is expected to be complete by mid-July.
Which Commissaries will Benefit?
*Indicates locations with sushi bars.
- Alabama: Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base Annex, Maxwell Air Force Base*, Redstone Arsenal*, Fort Rucker*
- Arkansas: Little Rock Air Force Base*
- Colorado: Buckley Air Force Base*, Fort Carson*, Peterson Air Force Base*, US
Air Force Academy
- Illinois: Scott Air Force Base*, Naval Station Great Lakes*
- Indiana: Harrison Village
- Kansas: McConnell Air Force Base*, Fort Leavenworth*, Fort Riley*
- Kentucky: Fort Campbell*, Fort Knox*
- Louisiana: Barksdale Air Force Base*, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base
New Orleans, Fort Polk*
- Michigan: Selfridge Air National Guard Base
- Mississippi: Columbus Air Force Base*, Naval Construction Battalion Center
Gulfport*, Keesler Air Force Base*
- Missouri: Fort Leonard Wood*, Whiteman Air Force Base
- Nebraska: Offutt Air Force Base*
- New Mexico: Cannon Air Force Base, Holloman Air Force Base*, Kirtland Air
Force Base*, White Sands Missile Range
- North Dakota: Grand Forks Air Force Base, Minot Air Force Base*
- Ohio: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*
- Oklahoma: Altus Air Force Base, Fort Sill*, Tinker Air Force Base*. Vance Air
- Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh Area
- South Dakota: Ellsworth Air Force Base*
- Tennessee: Naval Support Activity Mid-South (Memphis)*
- Texas: Fort Bliss*, Sheppard Air Force Base*
- Wyoming: FE Warren Air Force Base
Stay Connected to Your Commissary Benefit
Visit http://www.commissaries.com to learn more about the Defense Commissary Agency. Like DeCA on Facebook and follow DeCA on Twitter.
A self-described “Jackie of All Trades,” Army wife Jackie Toops chronicles her experiences in Europe through American eyes. Born in Florida and stationed in Germany, the mother of two enjoys writing, travel, art, languages, slow cooking and peaceful parenting. She studied Interdisciplinary Humanities, Museum Studies and Nonprofit Management, and has overseen public relations for museums, galleries and universities. Currently she is a contributing author for Wall Street International Magazine and a recurring on-air guest with AFN Wiesbaden. She’s usually seen traversing Europe with her Canon, a coffee and two small children. Follow her on Twitter.
Powered by Facebook Comments