I despise grocery shopping. When my husband was deployed it was even worse. The majority of us cringe at the mere thought of going to the commissary.
Imagine my surprise this morning when I checked my email and learned that Fort Lee, Virginia will be the first to test out online grocery shopping and curbside pick up starting tomorrow Wednesday July 10th.
The new program is called CLICK2GO and will follow the Fort Lee debut at two airforce bases later on in the year.
DECA (the commissary people) are aware that everyone is using smartphones and the internet these days. So many of us do shopping online that it makes perfect sense to offer these type of convenient services.
How CLICK2GO Would Work:
• An authorized commissary customer logs on to DeCA’s website, http://www.commissaries.com, any time day or night, authenticates his or her identity, and then chooses from among nearly 21,000 items. It’s the full assortment of grocery, or center-store items, and a refined assortment of the top-selling, random-weight items, such as fresh meat, deli and bakery items, and fresh seafood. As the customer shops online, the virtual shopping basket is updated to reflect the items and prices.
• At checkout, the customer selects a designated pickup time presented by the system. The pick-up time is at least four hours from the order time.
• Once the order has been received at the commissary, a fulfillment worker will gather the items the customer has chosen in accordance to the scheduled pickup time. The items will be kept in a temperature-appropriate holding area and loaded into the customer’s vehicle upon arrival.
• The customer pays for the groceries at curbside – without having to leave the vehicle. The accepted forms of payment are credit card, debit card that processes like credit, and DeCA gift cards.
• While customers may order at any time, the days to pick up their orders are limited to weekdays, not weekends, during the store’s normal hours of operation.
Personally I think that this is a major step in helping military spouses during deployments and TDY’s. This will be beneficial to those who have trouble shopping with their children, in times of bad weather and for those who don’t drive and can only get someone to drive them for a limited time.
Imagine waiting until the kids go to bed and being able to take your time and do your grocery shopping in peace and quiet with no crowds. Ahh I look forward to that!
Can’t wait until CLICK2Go makes it’s way to Fort Bragg!
To learn when CLICK2Go will be available at your local commissary stay in the loop at http://www.commissaries.com .
What are your thoughts on the commissary offering Curb Side Pickup and Online Shopping…Yay or Nay?
Powered by Facebook Comments
That sounds AMAZING!! Bring it to Carson, bring it to Carson!! Or to the Air Force Academy :)
That would be awesome! Used an online order with Albertsons when I loved in Nevada..loved it!
I think it’s an awesome idea for busy moms, single parent soldiers and disabled veterans. The commissary is trying to stay current with today’s technology and they are marketing a great service to those who would utilize it. I think it would be worth it, especially not picking up impulse buys and things not on your grocery list. I believe it would help with budgeting for groceries as well.
Absolutely would use this! Mother of 4 little ones and I can’t stand how most of the time I spend at the commissary is standing in line!
I think it’s a great option for those who would like to take advantage of it! I can see single parent soldiers and busy moms with deployed husbands really benefitting from this. I probably wouldn’t use it personally, but I do like that DECA is staying current and introducing new things to us!
I wouldn’t use this all the time, but after having my c-section with my son I would have definitely taken advantage of this.
Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!
I visited multiple web sites except the audio quality for
audio ongs existing at this website is actually marvelous.